market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Hoes and tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: JaMaKaEnterprise AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org (Market Farming)
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Hoes and tillers
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 13:54:12 -0400

One of the best ways to eliminate hoeing & tilling is to put several layers
of newspaper down the rows and between the plants and add any organic mulch
on top to hold paper down. This will keep the light from sprouting weed seed
and will help soil retain moisture longer, thus don't have to water as often
or as much. You can also use shredded paper. I get alot of shredded paper
from offices in town. I use it on garden and flower beds and also in my
composting worm beds.
You can also check with newspapers about the roll ends they might give them
away. These are the ends of paper rolls so all you have to do is roll it out
between rows.
MaryKay
PS DO NOT use glossy papers.