market-farming - [Market-farming] tiller vs. hoe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tiller vs. hoe
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:51:31 -0700

I do like the scuffle hoe or stirrup hoe, but as far as hoes go I like my
winged weeders better. (I'd like not weeding even better!) They work on the
same principle as a stirrup/scuffle hoe; use a push/pull motion with the
blade parallel to the soil. It slices underneath the soil and cuts the weeds
off at the roots. Important to keep them sharp, use before the weeds get big
(I say this but it doesn't always happen:-) ) also important to use "thumbs
up" grip on handle and maintain your stance so that the blade stays parallel
to soil- may have to bend or straighten the metal where the blade joins
handle to adjust for person's height. It comes in 2 sizes, about 3 in wide
and about 5 or 6 in. wide. The blade is kinda arrow shaped (not like warren
hoe) and you can use the points on the side for real close weeding. It
doesn't like rocks though.

Amy K. Johnson
Johnson's Produce Patch
Long Island VA

  • [Market-farming] tiller vs. hoe, Amy K. Johnson, 06/15/2003