market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Share Boxes (?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Share Boxes (?)
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:42:13 -0400

If your produce is certified organic packing in such boxes may well null
and void you certification. Unless the food that came in the tomato
boxes was certified organic (which is not that case at Burger King) the
boxes will have been exposed to ag chemicals and it is assumed these
chemicals still persist. I know under the more local organic rules
(preUSDA) in Ohio this type of packaging was prohibited because of the
chance of chemical exposure. this may be the rule of the land under
USDA-you may want to check this out.

If you are not certified organic happy recycling :-)

We still are using paper grocery bags with handles. This is the big way
our members participate with the farm by recycling their bags through
the CSA. It has worked well for us for the past 6 years.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste