market-farming - [Market-farming] Roll-up sides on hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Roll-up sides on hoophouse
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:46:59 -0700

Thanks for all the wonderful replies to my second inquiry about my roll up
sides. The last email I posted was written Thursday and not sent until today
and I see some questions were asked of me, so here goes.

Allison- Thanks for the ideas for who might have the real roll up material.
I might get some eventually, but for now, I'm just trying to use what's on
hand.

Allen- I'm using pipes on the roll up sides. One pipe is from the roll up
side of the salvaged greenhouse (one got used for a purlin on this
hoophouse) and then we bought some small diameter pipe for chainlink fencing
to use as the other side's pipe and for wind braces on the ends of the
hoophouse. The text that you copied in your email was attributed to me but
it's somebody else. Aren't you in VA? What part?

Paul- thanks for you input on how to attach the plastic to the hip board,
you've really got me thinking that my method won't work and have probably
saved me from making a big mistake. I was going to just use old drip tape
over the plastic and many staples into the hip board. But your comments have
made me see that the somewhat floppy nature of the sides might just pop all
the staples out.

Pam Dowling- Do you guys make tofu at Twin Oaks? I was at a seed saving
workshop at Acorn and I tried tofu for the first time and it was pretty
good. Someone said they thought it was from Twin Oaks.

The plastic is going on today if my hubby gets home in time, otherwise it'll
be tomorrow. (or worse I'll be doing it by myself if I can't get a friend or
two to help!) I've got to get to the hardware store and pick up some staples
and will also get some furring strips to use as Paul suggested although I
think I'll just try one strip down each side. We used rough cut lumber
(actually salvaged from some wierd long pallets my hubby found (he drives
truck to support my farming addiction) so I'm going to cut long strips of
greenhouse plastic (saved from covering my little greenhouse) and staple
them over the hipboards before attaching the covering plastic so it doesn't
get splinters or abrasions.