market-farming - [Market-farming] flea beetles vs. eggplants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT access4cheap.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] flea beetles vs. eggplants
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:38:05 -0800

I have severe problems with flea beetles too, but I've got a method to
surviving them on eggplants.
1) use sturdy, fairly big transplants.
2) I make my own sticky traps w/ tanglefoot on bright yellow cardstock paper
(but am probably going to buy ready-made this year)
3) Put traps between every 6th or so plant (preferably under a hoop for my
row cover to avoid sticky situations)- renew these occassionally.
4) Cover whole row w/ row cover on hoops made from heavy gage wire.
5) Spray occasionally w/ insecticidal soap w/ pyrethum (?spelling) , not an
OMRI listed product, but close enough for this uncertified farmer.
6) Once the plants are pretty big, the damage is minimal and beetle pressure
seems to decline as the plants mature.