market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] flea beetles vs. eggplants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] flea beetles vs. eggplants
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:39:08 -0500

What I have done for the past 6 years or so has worked well with 95% to
100% survival rate. You will need #9 gauge wire hoops and 30 wgt row
cover and plastic bottles (2 litre bottles tend to fall over but the 16
oz water bottles work great) filled with water, capped and covered with
Tanglefoot.

Transplant the seedlings and than get the hoops up than place the sticky
traps between plants (you'll need one bottle per 15' or so) and finally
put the covers over top. the water in the bottles warms during the day
and at dark when the air cooled off the warm bottles attract the flea
beetles and they go to them and stick and die. usually within 4 days you
will see next to no FB's. Remove the covers when the eggplants start to
flower.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
Boulder Belt Organics
Looking for local food? Check out
http://www.localharvest.org
We have, I fear, confused power with greatness
Stewart I. Udall