market-farming - [Market-farming] STOP WAR DISCUSSION

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt McCallum <glp AT iserv.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] STOP WAR DISCUSSION
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 08:54:16 -0500

This discussion group is about farm marketing - not the politics of
Iraq. Please keep the discussion focused on that. We don't need our mail
boxes full of e-mails about this.
Thank you.
Matt McCallum

From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Research $ and the cost of organic food
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:07:10 -0600

Paul,

I agree with your final sentiment on 100% organic feed to merit the label
Organic meat, I don't understand how anyone could have entertained labelling
meat Organic when those animals were produced in anything but an Organic
way.

It might simply have been called false advertising... perhaps like a
vegetable grower using 100% organically grown seed and seedlings and then
using nonorganic inputs for fertilization practices. But that food
certainly should not carry the label "organically grown". To me, THAT is
the point in the current issue... reducing pesticide use always was the
point... and I find it disconcerting that there are those producers who
either do not "get it" or do not mind outright lying to the public about the
way their product is produced.

Changing the law doesn't actually change the deception, does it?

RickW... lol... who doesn't share the 'optimistic' view that organic
products should demand higher prices? Chemical growers who wish to sell
their end products at organic prices or who wish to convince organic come
lately producers to use improper inputs in organic production?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL