market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Research $ and the cost of organic food

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Research $ and the cost of organic food
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:00:36 -0600

Html formatting has been changed to plain text:

Paul Bucciaglia wrote:

> [...]
cost effective (and soil protecting) forms of organic agriculture. Since
money talks, there nee ds to be a demand for teh product before organiztions
(government, corporations, small business) invest in new technologies to
produce it. This is why I support the call for 100% organic feed in organic
livestock production. I was against this at first, but reasoned that if we
allow meat to be labled as organic without growing the feed that way, there
will never be a reason to give up the pesticides.

-----
I wonder if there will be all that many new ways to farm the "o" method. And
if we do find large scale applications (and I certainly am not opposed to
that) we do have to realize that it will cause "o" techniques to be done by
the large scale farmers and companies.

make the whole argument moot!

-----

While MiG can be a part of the solution for part of the year, we still have
a big part of the year in much of the U.S. that still requires confinement
or quasi confinement operations. And in many cases, grain must be fed to
non-ruminant livestock all year around.

Having tight supplies for organic inputs is great from my perspective
because it is telling us that there is demand for the end product and that
the producers of the end product are not producing enough of their own
inputs. And they need to pay more in order to get the market balanced.

It has more than surprised me that others do not share this optimistic view.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce