market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advertising
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:47:24 -0800 (PST)

Leigh Hauter wrote:

>>The long term effects of repetitive advertising
>>are well documented in numerous books and
>>research papers and are worth mentioning here.
>>What the research shows is that advertising over
>>an extended period allows prices to be raised
>>for advertised products, relative to unadvertized
>>products in the same market segment. The price
>>differentials for advertised goods are substantial,
>>paying back the advertising many times over.

>That's exactly right. except you target your ads to likely buyers.
>One of the reasons that magazines are becoming more and more
>specialized in whom they write to, is so advertisers can more
>selectively reach targeted markets.

Of course your ads must be targeted, but targeting advertising
has to do with more than media selection alone. Specialized
magazines exist because publishers are able to charge much
higher rates to advertisers for the selectivity of the audience
and because the number of people reading general interest
magazines has declined over the years.

> In political advertising there is a belief that victory goes (among

Whoa! Political advertising may use some of legitimate
advertising's techniques, but selling politicians is much
different than selling food or automobiles.

>I think the key is, besides repetition ----
> "Jay cares about you, Jay is interested. Buy Jay. Jay today. Jay
>tomorrow. Jay in everyway."

While this approach may work in politics, it is not always best
in advertising. BTW, I am not running for anything.

>is finding the market, especially in a gourmet market like market
>vegetables, that is likely to buy in the first place. Especially if
>ad dollars and time are limited like they are for market farmers.

From reading this list I have learned that not all farmers markets
cater to a gourmet clientele. Absent serious market research,
one of the biggest errors you can make in defining who your
market is and what their demographic characteristics are is
assuming they all fall into one category.

If your ad testing proves that assumption true, you may have
been right. However, if you don't test your advertising in a
variety of media to reach a large cross section of the local
population, you may be passing up an awful lot of sales,
profits and opportunities to make customers happy, therefore,
more willing to pay higher prices.

Jay Gee
not a farmer - but interested in farming