market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Green bean varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Green bean varieties
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:54:32 -0600

We use Provider and Roma for market. Roma is a better seller in our market,
but we find that once we get into the heat of summer, it doesn't look as
good as Provider does. For our own beans, we like Contender, but it doesn't
have the weight per running rowfoot as Provider. A lot depends upon what
your market looks for. Our market would like to have white half-runners,
but they are labor intensive to pick, and the customers who want them want
to pay about $2.00 per bushel! Not a bean we will be growing. In fact, we
grow fewer and fewer beans every year because of the labor factor. There a
lot of "more profitable per hour of picking" items that we prefer to focus
on.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm