market-farming - [Market-farming] Advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Advertising
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:59:45 -0500

It seems unlikely that a true professional in the business could not look at
a typical farmer owned direct marketing farm and easily outlined some
concepts that would benefit everyone. I rather doubt that many (any?) of us
is going to be heading for "professional" marketing experience and the
attendant cost which would make it economically impractical.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams

I am leaning toward agreeing with RW here :). At a direct marketing
conference I went to (for direct marketing farmers) in one of the speeches
the speaker cautioned against big bucks for advertising. He said for our
small business it has been shown the returns aren't good. He went on to say
word of mouth was way above anything else, it was the best. Ok I know you
will say but you must get a nucleus of customers first. We advertised on a
big scale once about $700 (yes Jay that was huge). But it worked and got us
our first chunk of CSA members. Since then virtually no paid advertising,
unless you count $15 to be listed in NOFA flyer, $30 membership fee to Mass
Maple. One of the best national venues for us is www.csacenter.org with its
state listings. Its free to be listed and it is usually the contact info in
the increasing press attention CSAs are getting. We have had as many
members as we can deal with each year.

Part of this summers plan is to go to flower growing school=Plant lots more
flowers than usual and see it I can get them to thrive end of phase one I
can grow them. I will work on some of Phase two at the same time; selling
them and see what I can learn. When dealing with living things as your
product you must actually do the work to see if you are proficient at it and
that proficiency doesn't happen in one growing season.

We make a small profit for a ton of hours of work but we like it and are
debt free, bet the big guys can't say that. Beth