market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] discussion threads off topic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] discussion threads off topic?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:27:11 -0600

Renny Beal wrote:
>>>I definitely have to agree with Paul. I too signed up in order to get
information and helpful suggestions about market farming, etc. I have been
really pleased with the farmers' market discussions, "making money from
farming", soil blocks, etc., however the relentless banter between a few
individuals is becoming to much of a headache to "weed" through. If I
wasn't a believer in organic methods I would suggest some Roundup. Another
week of Dennis Avery/right wing/left wing/middle of the road subjects and I,
as I am sure other's have, will be looking for another discussion list that
isn't dominated by a few.

========
Perhaps it depends upon what you call market farming?

All lists are always dominated by a few people. I have never seen any yet
that were not. Also, if you lose those key people the list can be severely
affected, as some of us have seen happen.

To me, the discussions on much of the produce items are not as interesting
but I never would criticize anyone for it. (Like what the heck are soil
blocks:) I am more interested in the Market-farming concepts that are both
philosophical and of course give assistance to direct marketing of beef
products and to a lesser extent of produce. To us they are both important,
but the beef portion has much higher return in our local markets. At least
at this time.

What some people call OT, I do not, but try and respect that view.

Otherwise what you really have is NOT market-farming, but vegetable
production, which is a more narrow focus. Maybe there should be a list for
just the veggie information without the broader market information?

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Direct marketed dairy beef and produce