market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe just provoking:)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] OT Thought Provoking (or maybe just provoking:)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:52:30 -0600

I can never remember the policies of the right or the left, but my wife says I am a liberal-conservative.  I suppose that makes me right and left.

This thread has brushed on a point that might be considered in a different perspective.  All markets are niche markets.  Some are large, some are small.  Some become successful, some do not.  When one begins to view the industry sector as a niche market, it can promote a healthier perspective of one's operation.

Producers often feel as if they are in competition with industry.  That is only true if similar approaches and products are used to garner consumer support.

For instance, I do not feel that I am in competition with McDonalds when I market our beef just because both of us are selling a beef product.  I also do not consider that the beef industry as a competitor as our beef is differentiated in several aspects from feedlot beef.  We both have our niche markets and we are both making a business of it.

One of the biggest satisfactions I receive is when I recognize that we are less prone than industry to collapse caused by a weak energy policy, industry shortcomings, administrative changes, and public perception.

Rick H. - not Rick W.