market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ed Clifford" <hmdrawrod AT citlink.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mushrooms
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:54:04 -0500

Jay,
Wasn't thinking about trying to market my tomatoes the same way as
mushrooms. I have stayed very small and labor intensive, I was merely
extending idea out that I could produce huge quantities of Tomatoes, problem
is then marketing. Market farming by it's nature is wearing two hats
Producer, (the one we wanted to do) and marketer, (the one we have to do).
My tomatoes and other vegetables are sold at several NYC restaurants. One of
these eateries features farm name, (Shale Rock) on Tomato/basil salad. I
select what tomatoes they are sold. My farm logo is on boxes. All tomatoes
sold to public have farm name on a sticker that is applied to each tomato. I
have in the past given a card with story of farm as well as my story. It
seems to add value to product. People want to hear about how someone left
the city to farm. When markets are busy it is tough to talk and sell, but
when people make a personal connection with you they come back.
This year I started soliciting e-mail addresses from customers. With my
daughter's help I have been sending recipes and pictures of farm. Next year
I will use it as a marketing tool, letting customers know prices and
availability. Currently I have been using that only for businesses.

Richard,
I love mushrooms, only problem that I see is, not many people do. I think
it's more from custom than taste. And I think that is your limiting factor.
You seem to have a solid market, great! The 2 lbs you quote....what was that
2 years ago/ 5yrs/10 yrs.
Regards,
Ed