market-farming - Re: new farmer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT inil.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: new farmer
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:35:32 -0600

I'm surprised at this statement. I'd say that the direct-marketing element
of the Illinois fruit and veg industry is the most economically healthy, by
far. Sure, some of them are large but some of them are doing quite well
without getting big. I think the challenge is to find a size that represents
a good "fit" for the grower's management skills.