market-farming - Re: new farmer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: new farmer
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 23:31:15 -0600

Elaine Granata wrote:
> They all laughed at me, too, but I've finished my
> first year with a 10 shareholder CSA and 20 weeks at a farmers' market and
> have money in the checkbook (not much), but I didn't lose my
> shirt. I plan
> to go to 20 in the CSA next year.

The biggest problem that I see is that unless you get quite large, it is
very difficult to actually earn a living with direct marketing.

Do you have a rough idea of your hour return on labor? Maybe others can help
with this too.

On just our vegetable produce part of our farm, we sold maybe $1500 or so
for the season and probably have at least 600 to 800 hours in total labor
hours which includes the marketing time. I am probably being conservative
with the time. We should have some of the numbers in the next month. We are
probably the only farm that actually publishes our schedule F on the
internet.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm