market-farming - Re: new farmer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <ecgranat AT ouray.cudenver.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: new farmer
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:49:07 -0700

Jane: I'm with Beth. They all laughed at me, too, but I've finished my
first year with a 10 shareholder CSA and 20 weeks at a farmers' market and
have money in the checkbook (not much), but I didn't lose my shirt. I plan
to go to 20 in the CSA next year. I too have gardened since a teen and have
been an HR consultant.

Once I decided to go for it, I signed up for Master Gardener and Master
Composter, went to our local sustainable ag conferences, read like crazy,
spent a summer as a volunteer on a local CSA organic farm, interviewed other
small organic farmers, interviewed owners of small markets who might be
customers (one of them did buy from me), and talked with my financial
advisor and accountant.

It's been one of the best decisions. I love working the earth. Good luck

Elaine Granata