market-farming - new farmer

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: new farmer
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:12:43 -0500

Jane wrote:
One question: Is it possible for someone like me, a life-long city/suburban
gal, with no farming background, to start farming in mid-life? I've been
gardening since I was a teenager, and I have 12 years experience as an
Extension Master Gardener, so I know a little about growing things.
Professionally, I am a journalist, so the importance of good public
relations and customer communication is also something I understand. But,
when I share my plans and ideas with friends and family, I usually get
incredulous looks of surprise followed by hysterical bouts of laughter!

My 2 cents
Jane I say go for it. Use this winter to explore marketing avenues. Should
you do a farmers market, farm stand (table), small CSA etc. Vegetables,
flowers, and or herbs. You already know how to grow thats the most
important. I would say many of us are not born farmers ie 3 generation
market farmers (some might be). Hubby is a life long farmer but cows not
veggies. Knowing the 365ness of cows he became a teacher instead which of
course gives you the summer off, so I guess to go back to 365 days of
working he decided to try farming again (about 6 years ago). But we'd do
veggies because you don't have to milk them everyday :). I got dragged in
big time and have been surprised at how much I like it. In fact I do way
more (in my opinion) than 1/2 the work ha ha. He honestly does more field
work, I do more harvesting , just about all seed starting and do all
customer relations.

So you know how to grow what is your "dream" product. Your "dream" market?
Start smallish, keep your abilites in mind because help is very hard to
find. Even if you find them they may call in sick or whatever and you might
find yourself with that days work all to yourself. We have learned that
help is a bonus, but we should be able to do it all without help because we
may not have it all summer. For example we are a 40 member CSA. With x
employess we could be what 100, but what if the employees leave and they do
how could two of us manage 100 members. Plus one must pay the folks and
their salary minused from gross money might just be same if we just have
ourselves and 40 members.

Let your friends laugh, start small have success and prove them wrong.
Start too big and they may keep laughing :). Best of luck and ask all sorts
of questions this group is the best. Beth