market-farming - CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pete, Judi & Shania" <corbettj AT computer-products.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: CSA
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:58:45 -0500

I am looking at dropping my Farmers markets and starting up a CSA. I have always wanted to do this but I am not to sure what to do. We have one that I just learned about that is actually run by friends. But the girl who is running just lost her partner a few weeks ago and I need to give her a bit of time before I approach her for some help and suggestions.

I will do the traditional herbs and veggies, but I also raise heritage chicken breeds for eggs and meat, finish pork for a few friends and raise rabbits for show and meat as well as have a bunch of free range Muscovies and Pekins running around.

Now the rabbits, chicken, pork and duck would be on top of the other stuff, eggs could be include. I know roughly what my pork, chicken and rabbits sell for be weight so I was figuring I would be best to sell them that way?  The ducks free range so really other than a bit of feed they pick up most of the expense for them would be getting them killed. Could find out what duck sells for. I need to look at covering these animals individually as it will cost me to have them butchered.

So I am really trying to figure out ideas on how to do this and how to figure out costs, etc.... We only have a little over an acre and on that is our house. So right now I am only gardening about 1/2 acre and also am trying to figure out how much I need to plant of what for a family. I have another 1/2 acre or so that borrow off the farmer out back for pig field. and I can crop a big chunk of it as the pigs move into it as the summer goes and only took over the last half last week.

So is there a site or suggestions of amounts, prices, crops, etc....

Judi Corbett
http://gtigaan.tripod.com - Rabbits, Vermiculture, Herbs, and more
http://drcba.tripod.com/drcba.html - Canadian rabbit and cavy club

  • CSA, Pete, Judi & Shania, 11/10/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • CSA, Hook Family, 11/11/2002
    • re: CSA, Pete, Judi & Shania, 11/12/2002
    • re: CSA, Lucy Goodman, 11/13/2002