market-farming - re: CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: CSA
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:09:59 -0500

>I have been doing a CSA for 5 years and keep the eggs and meat separate
from the veggies. I raise chickens but still get vegetarian and vegan
members who do not want any animal products. This year had no vegans and
had a big surplus of eggs (a healthfood store we had been selling eggs
to for the past 7 years suddenly without comment quit buying eggs, they
had been getting 44 dozen a month) so every other week or so the CSA
members got eggs in their share.

Normally we sell egg shares-$3 a week for a dozen eggs. Our eggs sell
for $3.50 to $4.00 a dozen so this is a good deal. Certified organic
feed and pasturing keeps the price of eggs on the expensive side. We do
not make much annually from the hens (maybe $500 net every 12 months)
but get to eat great eggs and have manure for the compost piles.

The meat chickens sell for $2.85LB and members are encouraged to order
birds ahead or wait and see if any are left for them to pick up at the
farm. The first year I did CSA I included chicken and lost a lot of
money (of course I charged way too little that year for a share so the
whole CSA idea lost money)

If you do include meat and eggs be sure to charge enough so you don't
lose money on those things.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)

  • CSA, Pete, Judi & Shania, 11/10/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • CSA, Hook Family, 11/11/2002
    • re: CSA, Pete, Judi & Shania, 11/12/2002
    • re: CSA, Lucy Goodman, 11/13/2002