market-farming - Re: bale unroller and rhubarb

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bale unroller and rhubarb
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:56:19 -0600

Jackie wrote:
> I do my whole garden with hay mulch. The secret
> is, not unflaking it. The thick flakes will not
> allow any seeds to grow or weeds to come up thru.
> This is called The Ruth Stout No-Work Garden. It
> works really wonderful. You never have to till or
> plow it and you never have to use any
> insecticides or fertilize.

Although we tried Ruth's method back in the 1970's, we had some problems
with slugs and some rodent problems. We have used it on our potatoes for
many decades since you do not have to plant the potatoes very deep, but you
do need a thick cover to prevent the green solanin formation if they get any
light on them.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm