market-farming - bale unroller and rhubarb

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: bale unroller and rhubarb
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:15:29 -0600

Thank you, Joe Stuchlak,  for the information about the Farm Show Magazine!  I was able to order the Volume 2.

I attended the Small Farm Conference in Columbia, MO last week.  The CSA class was taught by Elizabeth Henderson, author of “Sharing the Harvest” with Robyn Van En.   She told about planting garlic in a bed about the width of a big bale of hay.  After the bulbs are planted, unroll a bale of hay over the bed and you’ve got it mulched.  I thought it was a great idea.  Now, all I need is a bale unroller!

I would like to grow rhubarb.  Every time I plant it in the spring, it looks good for the summer but never comes back up the next spring.  Can it be planted in the fall in zone 5 and if so, where would one find roots?

Thanks.

Marie in Missouri