market-farming - Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Lettuce
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:42:43 +0100

Thanks Alison and Paul for the lettuce info. Here in central Virginia,
where we also have 90+ days, or should I say months, our
favourite lettuces for summer have been Sierra, Nevada, Cardinale
- the Batavian crisps. Have you tried these ones, or just the
Summertime-type iceburgs? I certainly want to try Jericho after the
high praise, even though we thought we had settled on some
varieties that worked for us. Sierra is exceptionally good at
germinating at high temperatures. My summer germination method
is to keep the seedbed damp and covered with burlap before
planting, sow in the evening, then put ice cubes or crushed ice
along the seed row and cover with shade cloth. Then we transplant
later. I like the pre-plant drip irrigation idea!
Kalura did well for us in early summer (up till June), got
enormous! Johnny's have now brought it back, thank goodness! I
think they maybe suggested it as a mesclun crop, but we wanted it
for the full-size heads.
Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA