market-farming - RE: lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu ("Market Farming")
  • Subject: RE: lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:40:23 -0400

When it comes to lettuce adaptability is everything. There is a very common
iceburg that I bet most folks on this list have grown called Fairton. Its one
of the few head type that can grow outside of the southwest, it was developed
to grow in my area. Last week I found a 70 acre field of Fairton lettuce,
direct seeded mid August on three ft wide raised beds two rows to a bed, just
a few miles south of the town of Fairton, it germinated and grew in the 100
degree heatwave that lasted till mid September. It was fully headed and
probably ready to pick in a week or so. The farmer tells me that the field is
cooled by winds off the Delaware bay just a half mile away. you are either in
a lettuce growing enviromnment or not..Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

http://webmail.netscape.com/