market-farming - lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:24:49 -0400

Growing good sweet lettuce (Jericho) all summer! In our hot, southern

This maybe the best information in months of posts! While we had a good
overall CSA season. Lettuce was this years failure. Early lettuce was
fine. I was doing fairly well with plantings than bam temps of 90-100 for
basically a month. We had 20 days in which it was over mid 90s. That is
not typical for Ma. Anyway the lettuce that looked great tasted bitter
bitter. And due to heat new seeds planted did not sprout.
But I harvested more peppers than maybe the past few years combined.
Eggplants were slow but even they produced in fairly good numbers. Tomatoes
good as well.
Has anyone ever had a perfect year :)?
It frosted here last night, one more day of CSA members Sat to pass out a
few cool crops, broccoli, last of cabbage, brussel sprouts etc. Then whew
what will I do with free time. Read elists I guess :). Or yuck do some
housework and cook supper :).
PS any brussel sprout cooking suggestions? I have never grown them before.
But they are looking good.