market-farming - Record Keeping

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Record Keeping
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:34:13 +0000

Alison wrote:

> But certification cost is not the issue for
> us, record keeping is. As Chris Sawyer said earlier, many of us have very
> small sub-divisions of our growing areas, and to keep track of all of that,
> well.... And, for us, some of our growing beds might be planted 8-10 times
> in a year, with several different crops possible any or all of those
> planting times. But the worst is the sales record. There is no logical,

This is just a wild thought.

It might be possible that your record keeping could be simplified
by using barcode inventory processes.

With a portable bar code reader and weatherproof bar code
tags, fields, rows, crops, individual plantings, could be tracked
with a handful of predetermined programming codes and maintained
with a swipe of the reader. Transfer the data to a PC via serial
port or USB port.

Attention Bill Shoemaker:

Do you folks keep track of your test gardens and plots with
such a system, or is it all done by hand?

Just sharing some thoughts.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming

  • Record Keeping, jay gee, 10/17/2002