market-farming - Re: Organic cost pre and post NOP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic cost pre and post NOP
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:32:00 -0400

> product from me, or anyone else who actually got certified, and did in
fact
> let my customers know when it said "certified organic" it was not
> contaminated in any way. Even though I never certified, I could have at
any
> moment.

I should have made this clearer. I educated locals that the certification
procedure was strenuous, so when they saw local stuff certified, it deserved
to be certified. They could trust that it was clean food. For whatever
reason, alot could not fathom the idea of "local" organic food--it had to
come from California to be organic. So I had to educate first on organics,
then local, before I ever made a sale. And yes, I did point out to them I
never certified, and why, but that I did follow the rules, and had my tests
to prove it on hand at the market for anyone to see.

Now I have to go through that all over again ; )).

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC