market-farming - Re: Organic cost pre and post NOP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Organic cost pre and post NOP
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:13:52 -0400

> One thing that is not clear to me is what really changed all that much
from
> the cost of the organic certification programs from before the NOP to
after?

> It can't really have gone up in price all that much, if any, has it?

Oh yes it did. Under old cert rules, I would have paid about $300. New
ones $600. and the paperwork is horrendous. It was very detailed before--I
felt customers could feel very safe knowing they were getting an organic
product from me, or anyone else who actually got certified, and did in fact
let my customers know when it said "certified organic" it was not
contaminated in any way. Even though I never certified, I could have at any
moment.

Now the rules, especially the record keeping, are so complicated, only
written to benefit major producers, that I would need to hire outside help
just to keep up with the record keeping, which I'm not about to do.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC