market-farming - Re: tone and substance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tone and substance
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:51:40 -0500

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:45:23PM -0400, HackettShark AT aol.com wrote:
> We are going to have to completely change some of the old guide lines and
> get
> something that has some teeth in it. Current rules really will allow about
> type of produce movement when ever anyone want to bring it in. I've
> thought
> about bringing in banana's just to prove a point that not everything in
> this
> market is locally grown.

Phil, I'm sure you realize that writing good rules does not insure
enforcement. I feel that the key is having good, enforceable rules AND
the will and fortitude to enforce them.

While few marketers object to allowing the selling of other marketer's
or neighbors' products, that leads to lax or difficult enforcement. I
recommend allowing the selling of ONLY one's own products; this is
relatively easy to enforce: all sellers should be able and willing to
show the source of what they are selling at any time. Inspections
should be done on demand or randomly; before-the-marketing-season
inspections are pointless. Rules should require the sellers to
demonstrate their honesty on demand. My experience is that honest
sellers readily, even enthusiastically, agree to such stipulations and
dishonest sellers do not.

--
Willie ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html