market-farming - RE: End of Market comments

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: End of Market comments
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:55:58 -0500

The summer mesclun was grown in a hoophouse that had opened side panels. It
was so successful that we intend to build a 20x96 hoophouse over the winter
that will have only shadecloth (no plastic) and be used for the production
of summer mesclun. We did take the greens out of the mix because of flea
beetle - used lettuces only. Our customers really didn't even notice.
Also, we had to spray with BT occasionally because we have lots of
butterflies! If you want a full account, I think Growing for Market will
publish it in the October (and if you are a market grower, Growing for
Market is a great resource).

Alison