market-farming - RE: End of Market comments

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: End of Market comments
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:04:50 -0500

Really successful for us this season:

emailing our customer list and allowing pre-orders. Most days we went to
market with over 50% of our harvest already sold (they pick up at the
market)

Flowers - on a typical Saturday, we sold 75-80 bouquets, and had a lot of
"society ladies" come to the farm in mid-week to pick up flowers for
luncheons, dinners, parties, etc.

Growing fewer items and growing them better - we decided what was most
profitable and what we grew best, and focused on those items. I'll give you
a hint - green beans weren't on the list! :)

Growing good sweet lettuce (Jericho) all summer! In our hot, southern
summers! And, growing mesclun all summer under shade.

This past Saturday was our last at the market, even though it goes through
the end of the month. This coming Saturday, we have our annual workshop on
our winter hoophouse growing, and next week we're providing mesclun for a
Sierra Club conference here in KY for 250 folks (so we won't need the market
for sales). The following weekend, we start our winter deliveries. No
winter rest on this farm! We're fond of saying "The good news is, you can
grow and have cash flow 52 weeks a year, the bad new is, you can grow 52
weeks a year!" But, we can always, even in January, "walk to spring".

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com