market-farming - Re: update on Oxford market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: update on Oxford market
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:03:52 -0700

Thanks for asking.....Errol Castens & Jennie Lee should chime in (he is on
the board, she is a vendor) - from my perspective, the Oxford Farmers Market
(finishing its second season) is a big success - lots of regular shoppers,
lots of word of mouth (all positive), a wonderful community feeling, vendors
helping each other out, yet still trying to be competitive (in a good way),
a mix of organic and conventional but all local....A few people have made
snide remarks like "Oh is that the yuppie farmers' market" but I always
explain that unlike regular "subsidized" supermarket produce, these growers
are charging what it actually costs them to produce the stuff!

And yes, I made a big stink about their original plan to include
reselling of produce from out of state (in order to provide "variety" was
the reasoning, and so that early in season, a grower could sell more stuff
other than what was ready locally). I printed out all the responses from
our marketing farming community and gave it to the organizers.
I get yelled out bad for being so outspoken (told that how dare I
question the majority vote) so I backed off (I was getting so emotionally
involved that it wasn't a good dynamic) -and then they decided to make it
grower only.

I do know some of the vendors also sold some homegrown fruit and produce
from their neighbors, so I dont' know the exact rules the board has decided
on........

Willie wrote:
>(snip) we had a spirited discussion of market policies and peddling. This
was percipitated by Nan of Dancing Goat fame? I'd be interest in reading
of that market's successes and failures as well as how other markets have
developed
> and/or declined.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to as: nan AT olemiss.edu
> leave-market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • Re: update on Oxford market, Nan Johnson, 10/14/2002