market-farming - Re: NY Times: Small Organic Farmers Pull Up Stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: NY Times: Small Organic Farmers Pull Up Stakes
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:22:01 -0500

Del and Others,

That is what we find with our meat. Our beef labels don't make but one
exclusion and that is no confinement. The brand says most of it: PASTURE
PUREFECT We argued for 90 days to get acceptance of the "miss-spelled" word
"purefect" claiming it was a name not a word so it wasn't miss-spelled.
USDA does not allow miss-spelled words on their labels. The "pure" part
emphasizes our method of raising.

Customers do not pay as much attention to the label as far as product
discrimination as they do meeting the producer face to face. Here I sit
waiting on a reporter to call back regarding the new NOPs and certification
and as an officer of an organic grower association I must take the position
that certification is a good thing while most of my associates sit and
snicker knowing full well there will be little independent participation in
the process.

Several of our customers are recovering cancer patients. We are beginning
to hear that their doctors are telling them to eat healthy, especially for
the antioxidant properties of fresh vegetables and grass fed meats. Why do
they have to be recovering cancer patients to benefit? Wouldn't it make
sense that eating healthy would keep one cancer free?

Frustrating!

Rick H.