market-farming - RE: Off-topic - crock pot meals

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Off-topic - crock pot meals
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:38:45 -0400

I wear out a crockpot a year it seems. I've got a bunch of recipes, but
here's a favorite (you can add hamburger, but try it first without...the
flavor is so fresh, the meat won't be missed even by diehard meat eaters).

Black Bean Chili

2 cans black beans (of course you can soak & cook the equivalent amt of
dried beans)
2 med yellow onions chopped (I use scallions or red)
2 jalapeno chilies (or to taste) seeded & chopped
4 med tomatoes skinned & chopped OR 2 28oz can diced tomatoes
4 cloves garlic crushed
2/3 cup dry sherry (& equivalent amount for cook)
1 2/3 TB coriander
2 ts chile powder
1 ts salt
1 ts cumin
1 ts black pepper

Monterey Jack cheese w/jalapenos shredded for top, if wanted.

Sauté fresh veggies. Add to crockpot with canned beans & seasonings. Cook
on low 8-10 hours (high 4-5). Serve with cornbread or tortilla chips.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC