market-farming - horn worms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom Anslow" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: horn worms
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:53:02 -0400

Ok Liz, you asked for another topic.......hornworms in 'maters.

Now that we have had our first night in the 30's, and I am revisiting my
decision to leave 480+ tomatoes in the ground (green side up), I think back
to picking hornworms off the plants.

Can anyone dare beat (or own up to) my record of 190 hornworms in one
picking?

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market
Catawba Island

PS: Too late this year, but maybe next year we will cook up a batch of
green tomato jelly for a few special friends. Guess what the main
ingredient is?