market-farming - RE: Off-topic - crock pot meals

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marc" <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Off-topic - crock pot meals
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:09:11 -0600

I just got a new "programmable" crock pot that you can set for 4,6,8 or 10
hours and then it switches to warm. I seem to remember Liz mentioning a
couple years ago getting serious use out of her crockpot and bread machine.
And Del, you usually have some good menu ideas! I'm looking for favorite
recipes, cookbooks or menu ideas for crock pot cooking. I'm trying one idea
out and cut up two of the chickens that we'd dressed on Friday, put them in
little freezer bags, 2 pieces to a bag, along with 1/2 cup of uncooked rice,
onions, marinade and liquid. Then put them in the freezer to give to my
father-in-law along with a mini (1 qt) crockpot. He lives alone and doesn't
cook much. I'm also going to try stew this way so he can take a bag out and
pop it in the crockpot. If I were to put in a commercial kitchen, I could
probably get some value-added products going here by combining veggies from
the garden AND our meat! Right now I'm mainly looking for ideas I can use
for our family.

Thanks!
Marcy Nameth
SE Colorado