market-farming - RE: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield,Missouri

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield,Missouri
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:55:52 -0500

jay gee wrote:
> Where did you get that idea? Cite serious sources
> please

The famous "Nurses study" is one. This study is used by the anti-dairy
people to show why you should not drink milk or use dairy products. It
appears that they may have been measuring other parameters because other
studies have not shown the tie-in with milk consumption = osteoporosis. In
fact, new studies suggest the opposite.

However, other studies have shown that high protein diets seem to suggest a
leaching out of the calcium. Do we know this for sure? I don't think so. But
it should give us pause for concern.

> The science does not show that carbohydrates are hard on
> the human system when taken in small quantities and
> without other high energy foods making up a large part of
> the diet. The problem in the wealthy parts of the developed
> world, especially the U.S. and now apparently a big problem
> in Australia (as far as kids go), is that we eat too much of
> everything. If you eat a lot of fat, you don't need carbs
> to make up a large part of your caloric intake. As for proteins,
> they are necessary for cellular repair, etc., etc., etc.

This is very accurate based on the most current information. The super
sizing of food and large portions are the primarily culprit. Many EU
countries, such as France, eat many refined and rich foods by any measure
and yet people are not as obese. It is well known that the portion sizes are
much smaller and the total caloric intake is lower.

Some decades ago, there actually was a published book called "Calories Don't
Count" where the author tried to prove that it is the type of calories and
not the number of calories that made the difference on whether you gained
weight.

Needless to say, the author was misguided, since many assumed that calories
were unimportant. And that was just not true either.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers