market-farming - RE: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield,Missouri

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jwf267 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield,Missouri
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:42:50 EDT

First, my apologies for failing to identify myself in that post.  I have posted a few times before, but I have obviously overstepped what is allowed, so I will keep my "mouth" shut in the future.  My name is Jean French, I work on a farm in Upper Marlboro, Maryland (Clagett Farm) growing vegetables, herding beef cattle, and goats.

The people who had heart attacks once on the Atkins Diet were (and are) not obese, and do not smoke tobacco.  I just thought people might appreciate a slight warning, but again, will not do so again.

The connection between an over-intake of protein and osteoporosis is fairly well known in medical research, but I can give you one reference without having to head to a library to look it up:  Dr. Robert M. Giller and Kathy Matthews, Natural Prescriptions, page 267-8.  "Certain dietary factors actually cause the body to lose calcium.  A diet high in protein increases calcium excretion and therefore bone loss....Six ounces per day-the equivalent of a small chicken breast or a small fish fillet--is enough."

Will this count as an apology, or do I need to be more abject?