market-farming - RE: Part 2 -- RE: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield,Missouri

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Part 2 -- RE: Double Dipping- by Martha Stevens, Hatfield,Missouri
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 18:41:47 -0500

Rick had written:

> Unfortunately they do. As we had recently with the Wisconsin direct
> marketing of "incidental" sales of milk. And many, many other
> times in the
> past that led to all the food regulations. Remember that the
> regulations are
> not something that happened recently as some seem to suggest. But rather,
> occurred many decades ago as government got much more involved
> with public
> health issues.

jay gee's response:

> Poor response Rick. "Unfortunately they do." The Wisconsin example
> you provided is not widely know. Can you conjure something more
> widespread? Scale is important here because it goes to the heart
> of the issue being discussed.

The Wisconsin case is well known here, but perhaps not within your circles
or others. The earlier references that I made to why the laws were past in
the first place are not arguable. They were based on public policy from many
decades ago.

> Good Science is taken to the Hill often and allowed to die in a
> heap. Good Science should not need to open a checkbook
> to get a hearing. Remember, the average legislator is a lawyer
> who could not be successful practicing law. They are used to
> being directed by "higher status" individuals or groups and getting
> their strokes when election time comes. Legislators as a group
> do not like Good Science because it tells them and the people
> who elected them the correct path. Frequently, no room is left
> for argument. Go into a room full of lawyers and see if they will
> stop arguing for twenty minutes. Not only does it cut down on
> argument slack, when the Science dictates what their financial
> sponsors don't want, big problema.

I completely disagree with your smear of others and do not wish to play your
game. Sorry.

> According to widespread reasearch quoted by the New York Times
> scientists have learned that following the Atkins Diet not only causes
> weight loss, that all blood chemistry improves along with it.

I think you are being overly optimistic about the diet. But by all means go
ahead and do it if you wish. Even if the diet is dangerous, I still feel
that people should be able to practice whatever they wish as long as they do
not hurt others.

> Price fixing? Gee, I knew that. Wouldn't you say price fixing has
> a negative financial impact on consumers? I would. So did the Feds.

That is right jay gee. That is the whole point of why they went to jail
isn't it? This was a case of the courts deciding that a crime had been
committed that violated the monopoly laws.

So where do you find disagreement with what i said? You seem to like to find
arguments even when you agree.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm