market-farming - Re: Launching a CSA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Launching a CSA
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 13:35:49 -0400

We are just finishing our 6th year of a CSA and things just get better all the time. This is my only job and it pays much better than teaching ever did (and more time off, too). We don't do markets, wouldn't dream of it. For us, farming 45 miles outside of DC, subscriptions are the only way to go. But a CSA is like any other business. It takes a few years to become established (I was fortunate in that I ran another local CSA before starting out on my own and mostly knew what did and did not work). As far as reference books to go to for starting up a CSA I would be wary. Read them, but read them with a grain of salt. Make sure the author has half a dozen years of successful CSA farming. Some of the CSA theory, at least in our area of the country, is a sure fire recipe for disaster. Oh Well. Maybe I'll write my own book. But if you want a very general idea of how we run our program, check out our webpage.
--