market-farming - Re: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Petersons <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:08:05 -0700

Title: Re: [market-farming] How do we reduce use of plastic b
Initially we were resistant to the use of any packaging at market , but after watching others succeed with ready bags of greens, we also pre-pack for market.  However, we use cellophane bags (Pak-sel at cellobag.com) and feel less anguish since they are biodegradable.  They are more costly to us than plastic, but are less costly to all of us in the long run. I keep a sign at my stand explaining to customers that the cellophane (and paper) bags we use are biodegradable; many customers acknowledge our effort.
At our market we re-use grocery bags - both paper and plastic, when the customer forgets to bring their own bag.  I encourage customers to drop off their collection of bags with us for re-use.  I realize that some locales have rules about re-use of bags, but it works for us.  I emphasize that these bags are used only when the customer forgets to bring a bag or basket.  I expect customers to bring bags or baskets and make it clear that I can provide a bag sometimes, but that they should plan to bring a container to market when they shop.  This kind of gentle guidance seems to work - more and more of our customers bring their own containers, and are abashed to have to ask for a bag when they forget.
In our CSA we re-use plastic berry baskets, but we also purchased some wooden quart and pint berry boxes this year. So far we have had success getting the CSA members to return the quart and pint boxes along with their main basket.  (We even get twist-ties returned for re-use...arghh)
Molly Petersons