market-farming - Re: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 19:40:54 +0000

Kris wrote:

> handle the "rush" in the first 90 minutes of openning. Most of our stuff is
> gone in the first 90
> minutes. In addition, we have to use the T-shirt plastic bags for customers
> to carry the
> purchases. some customers do recycle the bags and some bring cloth
> bags/baskets but on balance
> we feel we ought to be able to reduce the use of plastic without
> sacrificing efficiecy of
> handling the rush.

Investigate having some cloth shopping bags made with
your farm name, logo and phone number or URL. One
color is all you need, two colors are very nice.

Sell them at your stand at a small premium over what
you pay for them. Make sure they are high quality,
but don't go overboard. Contact the folks at the
Natural Resources Defense Council for a referral
to whoever supplied their cloth shopping bags for
the "Keep the Arctic Wild and Free" campaign.
http://www.nrdc.org

Set up a "frequent flyer" program for your stand
customers and award them a shopping bag after
purchasing some amount (you decide) of your
product. Frequent flyer programs are good for
business as well as a good way to get people
to use your promotional merchandise.

Bags make customers happy! Bags help cut
down on plastic waste. Bags are a great way
to advertise your farm to others and build up
a customer base.

That's my nickel's worth.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming