market-farming - How do we reduce use of plastic bags?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kris Chand <kchand AT island.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:28:10 -0700

After five years at the market we are discovering that we use way too much
plastic for packing.
We find that we have to weigh and pre-pack some products ( potatoes, beens,
carrots,
beets(without the greens), and some others I cannot think of right now). This
is necessary to
handle the "rush" in the first 90 minutes of openning. Most of our stuff is
gone in the first 90
minutes. In addition, we have to use the T-shirt plastic bags for customers
to carry the
purchases. some customers do recycle the bags and some bring cloth
bags/baskets but on balance
we feel we ought to be able to reduce the use of plastic without sacrificing
efficiecy of
handling the rush.
Any suggestions?
Thanks