market-farming - Re: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How do we reduce use of plastic bags?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 07:52:41 -0700

1. What are T-Shirt bags?

2. For bagging individual vegetables, I thought the big rolls of Farmers
Market plastic bags were provided. They weren't, everyone just must have
used the same supplier. I didn't know anyone to ask and I spent a day on th
phone almost paying a lot for the bags when I remembered as a kid that you
packed them in paper bags at the grocery store. So I bought several hundred
paper lunch bags (about $8). I rubber stamped them with my logo while
watching TV. After the initial confusion, people were fine or even happy.
Now here's the wild thing, you can run them through a Epson color printer.
Or at least mine. So I have a swell logo'd bag with my web address.

I love the marketing as much as the farming and selling so this isn't for
evryone, but it's fun and it might be a good way to test out logos and
packaging.

3. For big shopping bags, almost everyone knows they're not getting them at
out market. I keep a few used grocery store paper ones with handles for
emergencies. I just hate having that chain store grocery showing all over
the market!