market-farming - Re: Using trellis netting?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Using trellis netting?
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 08:41:30 -0400

> How far apart do you have to put posts when growing cucumbers
> supported by 17 gauge fence wire? How far for string beans?
>
> Anyone ever find this great stuff (the plastic trellis) locally?
>
> Thanks

I used 9 gauge on with t-posts 10 feet apart.

I tried plastic trellis one year. It was too much of a pain to clean/clear
at the end of the season for the following year. I went back to twine which
I could just cut down & compost with everything. I haven't looked recently
but maybe there's a natural mesh that can be composted at season's end.

One other thing I did, was weave rebar through the bottom openings to
stabilize the whole set up so during our hurricanes, the plants would not
get ripped out of the ground. (They'd end up horizontal, but still firmly
planted. ; ))

Liz Pike