market-farming - Re: Using trellis netting?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Using trellis netting?
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:25:19 -0400

About stake-and-weave/string weaving:
The plastic baling twine passes as organic if you remove it all from
the field at the end of the season, I think. The regular (tractor- dealer type) sisal
(natural fiber) twine is treated with rodent-deterrent and anti-mold
stuff and doesn't pass organic standards, I understand.

> One can
>leave the roll at the end of the row and pull doing shorter sections
>tying off and restarting is our method, but a shuttle would work
> fine also, just seems to me that it would take double work to wind
> the shuttle and then do the weave.

Another method that works is to lay the whole roll down at the end of
the row, with the end marked "top" facing down the row. Pull from the
center and work along the row, trailing an ever-lengthening piece of
twine along the ground behind you. Work from left to right if
right-handed and vice-versa. You'll find yourself standing inside a
giant loop of twine, half of which is in use and half on the ground.
Don't panic! At the end of the row flip the twine over the last post,
step round it and work back down the other side of the row, "using up"
the length of twine lying on the ground. This is hard to describe, but
we do it this way and it does work. We have the working end of the
twine threaded through two holes at the ends of a length of broken
canoe paddle. It's easier on the hands than holding the twine.
Good luck, Pam (Dawling)