market-farming - Re: Using trellis netting?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Chris Sawyer <css AT ioa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Using trellis netting?
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 06:12:14 -0500

We also weave our trellis in this manner. I buy the twine from the local tractor dealer. It is the same used for baling hay or straw. It sometimes is worth shopping several dealers to find the smaller rolls. I found some one year that would fit in a coffee can which was great. Other years I use a plastic grocery bag to hold the twine and pull from the center. In general this job is easier if some sort of container is used for the twine because it is easy to tangle especially when one gets down to the last quarter of the roll. One can leave the roll at the end of the row and pull doing shorter sections tying off and restarting is our method, but a shuttle would work fine also, just seems to me that it would take double work to wind the shuttle and then do the weave.

For tomatoes we use the stake and weave method but this trellis is what we use on cukes, beans, and peas. For loofa and heavy gourds I use steel trellis, welded.

Allan Balliett wrote:

Liz -

Sorry to belabor this one, but what sort of twine are you using? I've
purchased non-anti-fungal twine from Johnny's in the past to this
use, but shipping it, etc was v. expensive. It's also very 'heavy
guage.' Are you using something you can buy locally?