market-farming - Re: Newbie needs help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rancho El Shadday" <ranchmaster AT resok.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Newbie needs help
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:27:47 -0500

Wow! Thanks for all the help and support! I appreciate you making me feel
so welcome.

Later today I'll be off to Amazon.com to order all the books you so kindly
recommended. It was a book that took my little kitchen garden from a small
plot to a huge "opportunity". The book was directed to market gardeners
(which I, of course, knew I would never be) but I wanted some specific piece
of info so I bought it. Now, thousands of dollars and hundreds of blisters
later . . . . . .

I was in the gardens at sunrise this morning to see if the deer had trampled
any of my seedlings yet. Their comings and goings are very evident in the
soft soil. They are everywhere. I also saw some large paw prints I didn't
recognize -- about 4 times the size of the little raccoon tracks. Now I
wish I had not been so rebellious when my Mom wanted me to be a girl scout!
Couldn't be a big cat or I wouldn't have deer . . . . . Maybe the raccoon
from hell?? Hm-m-m I see another book in my future.

I love Brian's list and the emphasis on planning. I have every plant and
seed plotted on quad paper. A bigger part of my planning process should
have been to learn more about my land. If I knew my land better (we've only
been in here for 6 months) I would have known where I would encounter a
shallow rock bed or too much water. I'm just not the type to spend a whole
year watching the seasons and their effect on the land. Just jump in and
try it -- that's me.

Thanks again for welcoming me into the group. I'll be here listening and
learning. :-)

Sandra