market-farming - RE: Newbie needs help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Newbie needs help
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:17:30 -0500

Ask away anytime. That's what this list is for - for all of us. It really
doesn't matter how long you have done market farming, there will always be
new knowledge to acquire. In my mind, that is what makes farming such a
fascinating occupation - you will NEVER know enough. You will ALWAYS be
learning new things - even if it's only how to function in the weather we
are having THIS YEAR that is different from all prior years.

Nematodes are microscopic 'worms'. They have both pest and predator forms.
You may have been familiar with 'root knot nematodes' in California. I
remember them infesting tomatoes when I lived in So. Cal. The kind in the
discussion yesterday are the predator type. They feed on (and, thus help
control) larval forms of insects in the soil. So, they are 'beneficial
nematodes'. They come in a sponge that is put into water, and watered in
where you need control. Some people do it manually if they have a small
area, others use their drip irrigation system to apply them.

One of the most important things you will learn is insect ID. Get yourself
a good book or two with color plates. Observe how the insects are
interacting, and make sure you know not just the adult stage of an insect,
but what its eggs and larval/nymph stages look like. It takes time, but you
are embarked on the most wonderful occupation in the world. Welcome to its
ranks!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm
Smiths Grove, KY
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com