market-farming - Re: Newbie needs help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Newbie needs help
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:16:41 EDT

In a message dated 4/17/02 9:14:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ranchmaster AT resok.com writes:

The land is all neglected woods or natural pasture
with loads of burmuda grass. In CA that was a weed, but here it is touted as
great pasture grass. I still think it is a weed. :-)  We turned under about
90,000 sq ft of that burmuda and have been discing like crazy trying to kill
all that grass!!

I ran into lots of Bermuda grass when I was living in Texas.  My experience with it is that unless you want to use a herbicide, you have to remove every bit of it to get rid of it.  It spreads by underground runners, so I would think that discing it would chop it up into lots of pieces, all of which will make more Bermuda grass.

In Texas, Bermuda grass is grown and baled as hay for horses and cows.  You might have a good cash crop there...

Marj